“The term quality indicates the positive value of the time or moments shared with others, thus satisfying the needs of the individual and the people involved. These moments and situations become valuable experiences, even internalized in our lives,” says Mary Castro, a psychologist at our clinic, who gives us valuable advice on how to make the most of the time with our children.
How can parents strengthen their relationship with their children?
- In these times in which mom and dad work, communication is basic to strengthen the relationship with our children, likewise, share moments and, above all, get involved in their activities; that is to say, not only have a position of an observer, since the most important thing is to participate in their achievements, without leaving aside the difficult moments they may go through.
- It will be very helpful for both parents or those responsible for the child to constantly coordinate the activities to be carried out with the children of the house. This will also help them to have adequate communication in their day-to-day life and that both parents get involved in shared activities, becoming a good example for the child to follow.
Six tips for spending quality time with your children:
- Establish constant communication with our children, addressing not only academic issues but also talking about their own interests.
- Find appropriate times to talk; that is, find a time to do so, taking into account their activities and ours. The dialogue may be long or short, the ideal is to organize it so as not to interrupt it due to time constraints.
- Take the time to inform ourselves about topics and aspects related to our children’s interests. In this way, we could promote more fluid communication with them and they will value the fact that their parents consider their own tastes or hobbies.
- Keep in mind that we do not need many hours to dialogue with our children; the valuable thing about these moments of dialogue will be the way in which we do it.
- Recognize their abilities and skills. This will help them feel good about spending time with us. Recognition from parents is very important for children.
- Strive hard to be present at important times for them.
Psychologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma