Our body is continuously exposed to the attack of bacteria, viruses, and fungi, which can lead us to contract diseases. Given this, it is important to strengthen the immune system, and, in this line, the nutritional approach is very important, especially when people are facing a global pandemic.
“Nutrition is important to face COVID-19, as it keeps our defenses in good condition. We must consume dishes containing the three food groups, do not skip any food, and preferably cook your food. Foods rich in vitamin C should be added to avoid colds and cover daily dietary requirements”, says Karyn Reyna, Nutritionist at Clínica Ricardo Palma.
The Specialist says that the body of vulnerable people is in a state of inflammation, as happens in people with obesity and diabetes, who have metabolic imbalance due to their condition. They should take a diet according to their pathology or disease, considering adding foods that also protect them from common colds.
To protect yourself include the following in your diet:
- Protein foods of animal origin: chicken, turkey breast, and fish, such as bonito, tuna, cojinova (rich in omega). Prefer baked or grilled cooking rather than fried.
- Fruits and vegetables: five servings per day, three of fruits (especially blueberries, aguaymanto, strawberry, kiwi, cocona, pitahaya, orange, papaya, grape, melon, pineapple, raspberry, blackberry, grapefruit, pomegranate) and two vegetables because they strengthen the immune system of older adults, pregnant women, children with low weight or anemia, patients with hypertension, people with cancer, AIDS, depression, and anxiety, who have few hours of sleep and have eating disorders.
- Consume natural soft drinks that contain vitamin C, preferably without sugar: lemonade, chicha morada (from purple maize), carambola, and passion fruit. Drink at least two liters of water a day.
- Vitamins, especially A, B, C, and E keep cells in good condition, as they cover the inside of respiratory cells and, in this way, protect against viruses and environmental toxic agents.
- Prepare meals with extra virgin coconut oil, honey, garlic, and onion, which boost the immune system.
- Sleep well to improve defenses.
Lic. Karyn Reyna
Nutritionist at Clínica Ricardo Palma