Are you gaining weight and don’t know why? The answer may lie in your habits. Although it may seem an exaggeration, there are some habits that can make us gain several extra kilos without realizing it. Karyn Reyna, our clinic’s nutritionist, lists the habits we should avoid if we want to maintain an adequate weight and good health.
- Food shopping without planning. Making a weekly or monthly grocery shopping list is vital. Food should be purchased according to the menu for the week, so you maintain order and buy only what is necessary. Eliminate snacks, sandwiches, or sweets that you will end up eating when you are working or watching TV.
- Eating dinner too late. Many times, this habit is a consequence of the routine and the work shift. Try to eat dinner as soon as you get home and no later than 8 pm. Dinner should contain foods that are easily absorbed and digested. A salad with some protein or a vegetable soup will be a good option.
- Not chewing enough. We often eat too fast and do not chew our food properly. We do not give the brain enough time to send signals that we are satisfied. Eating slowly contributes to eating less food and having good digestion. It is suggested to chew 15 to 20 times each mouthful and to keep each bite small.
- Eating while checking the cell phone or watching TV. Eating is a complex act both organically and socially and that is why we must have all our senses alert when we sit at the table. If you distract your mind with strong colors like those of the screens, the brain stops giving importance to the food and does it in a mechanical way, ceasing to be a conscious and vital food and then be hungry at all hours.
- Abuse of sugary drinks. Gradually lower your sugar intake. If you use 2 teaspoons to sweeten tea, put only 1 teaspoon. Sugar only provides empty calories to the body and its consumption is not necessary.
Nutritionist at Clínica Ricardo Palma