As result of the current situation, the use of bicycles has increased considerably, as the possibility of contagion of COVID-19 in relation to public transport decreases, according to the Pan American Health Organization. This routine provides you with a series of health benefits, since cycling is a cardiovascular exercise that helps improve physical and mental condition. Dr. Augusto Cornejo, sports doctor of our Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation service, gives us more information on the subject.
What benefits does riding a bicycle bring us?
Since it is a cardiovascular exercise, it improves the functioning of the heart and oxygenation of the brain
- Tones and strengthens the leg muscles and strengthens the knees
- Helps lower body fat levels such as cholesterol and triglycerides
- Improves the position of the back by strengthening the lumbar muscles
- Improves the immune system and with it our defenses, like all sports
- Reduces stress, producing a pleasant and satisfying feeling after pedaling activity
- Improves social relationships, encourages optimism and socialization
- Warm up the muscles to avoid injury.
It is always necessary to perform a good warm-up and prior stretching of the muscles involved in the sport to be practiced. Thus, we avoid suffering injuries such as strains or tears in the muscles of the legs and lower back.
- Pregnant women can ride a bicycle after an assessment by the OB/GYN doctor.
This is very important, to rule out that there are no factors that complicate the health of the mother and her baby, such as bleeding, which is one of the most frequent contraindications.
- You must ride your bike consistently to get benefits.
To obtain the benefits described, this activity should be practiced at least three to four times a week. The daily time spent should be between 30 and 45 minutes, progressively increasing to 60 minutes, if possible.
Pedaling at a gentle pace between 10 to 15 km / h makes us burn between 500 and 600 calories in an hour.
Dr. Augusto Cornejo
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation service at Clínica Ricardo Palma