December is here and, in general, it is normal to have some excesses when eating, because the end of the year holidays leads us to eat more than usual, making us gain weight and increasing the risks to our health. Therefore, it is important to maintain a balanced diet during this month along with physical activity. This time, the nutritionist María Teresa Zumarán, a specialist at Clinica Ricardo Palma, gives us some tips to stay healthy this holiday season.
9 tips to take care of our diet
- Do not skip any food. Not having breakfast, lunch or dinner will cause you to eat later in greater quantity.
- For a lunch away from home, it is important to include vegetables and drinks without or with low sugar content.
- Drink enough fluids during the day, between 6 to 8 glasses of water, as sometimes the body mistakes thirst for hunger.
- If you are going to consume desserts, preferably without added sugar.
- Don’t eat ultra-processed foods continuously.
- Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation. If you consume an alcoholic beverage, preferably do not choose drinks that have a lot of sugar, such as cocktails or liquor creams.
- Chew your food calmly. In this way, you will feel full, which is relevant for the prevention of obesity and proper digestion.
- Reduce the consumption of salt. It is important to consume little salt, since excess of it can cause problems of high blood pressure and fluid retention, in addition to forcing the heart and kidneys to work more.
- Exercise. It is essential to include sport to avoid overweight, loss of muscle mass and minerals in the bones. It also prevents some diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia and hypertension.
María Teresa Zumarán
Nutritionist at Clínica Ricardo Palma