It is normal that due to climate change we are more exposed to get flu or colds. Although the prevention recommendations are similar, it should be considered that both diseases are different. According to Luis Pun, Pulmonologist at the Clínica Ricardo Palma, the flu is caused by influenza, while the cold, on the other hand, is caused by another virus.
The flu usually shows with body discomfort, while the most persistent cold symptom is nasal congestion. To avoid them, here are some tips.
- The flu can be prevented by vaccinating yourself against influenza. May is the right month to do it because of the weather, but now due to the quarantine, it is complicated. Find out if there are campaigns near your house. Of course, that vaccine will only protect you from the flu, not from other viruses.
- In winter we usually close the windows to reduce the cold, but it is important to ventilate spaces to circulate the air in the house.
- If there is someone with cold symptoms, he should always cover his mouth when laughing or screaming. You can get cold being close to that person.
- Warm-up, but don’t exaggerate, especially if you have a fever. Many clothes are not recommended.
- Chicken soup or hot drinks will only relieve your discomfort, but will not remove the virus. It is a myth.
Dr. Luis Pun
Pulmonologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma