Cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide, approximately 1 in 3 women will have some type of cancer throughout their lives, affecting approximately 217 women per 100 thousand healthy women in Metropolitan Lima expressed Dr Mauricio León Rivera, Surgical Oncologist of our clinic.
International Women’s day celebrated every March 8, the specialist highlighted that women should adopt a preventive culture regarding care in favor of their health. In that sense, it is important to know which are the most frequent cancers in Peruvian women
- Breast cancer, without a doubt, which has the highest incidence rate among women in Metropolitan Lima, affecting 40 women per 1,000 healthy women in Lima. However, it should be noted that it is one of the least lethal cancers, since 10 out of 100 healthy women in Lima die from this cancer . The recommendation is that from the age of 40, women have an annual mammogram, and a breast ultrasound.
- Lung cancer, the percentage of lung cancer in women every year is increasing. Avoiding being in environments with tobacco smoke and quitting smoking can save you from this type of condition that has the highest mortality rate
- Colon cancer. Unfortunately, there is a large number of women who suffer from this type of malignant neoplasm. Almost all colon cancers start usually with non-cancerous polyps that if removed or detected early would never develop this type of cancer
- Cervical cancer. This type of cancer is suffered by many women in Peru, being the most frequent malignant neoplasm among Peruvian women. As part of the prevention, it is required that women, once they have started their sexual life, can make the corresponding gynecological evaluations such as the pap smear of the uterine cervix on an annual basis, sometimes other examinations such as colposcopy
- Skin cancer. Another type of cancer that is increasing in recent years among women is melanoma, as a result of increased exposure to the sun without adequate protection
Dr. Mauricio Léon
Surgical Oncologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma