The Christmas season is approaching and many parents are wondering what they can give their children for Christmas and, above all, if these presents are going to be useful for the little ones. On many occasions, excessive consumerism prevails and children receive so many gifts that it is difficult for them to make the most of them. Therefore, Mary Castro, psychologist of our clinic, offers us a series of recommendations to choose the right gifts for the little ones at home this Christmas.
How many gifts should a child receive at Christmas?
It is suggested that the number of gifts a child receives does not exceed 4, since when receiving more gifts, the child will not know how to take advantage of them or have the time to explore them. The needs that these toys must cover must respond to the use that the little one will give them. Above all, these gifts should help the child develop and cover any needs he/she may have.
- That is, something that is of common use and necessary for them.
- Pick something they can wear for the next few weeks or months.
- Help in their development. It can be a book or puzzle, something that helps them develop their creativity. The age and taste of the minor must be taken into account.
- What the child wants. That is, a toy or an experience (walk or trip). To do this, parents must be attentive to the taste and real desire of the minor taking into account their age.
Keys to a good choice of Christmas gifts
- The deal. It is recommended that parents talk with close relatives (grandparents or uncles) who we know will give the child some kind of gift, in order not to saturate the child with gifts that he may not be able to take advantage of.
- Teach the child to take advantage of the toy. Sometimes children do not know how to play with something that is given to them. It will be necessary for the parent or adult to be with the minor to help or guide him/her, in case he/she must follow instructions.
- Age. When we give something away, it will be necessary to take into account the age of the child and the habits that the minor has; You can even consult with the parents if it is appropriate to give a certain gift to the child.
Psychologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma