Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by bacterial, fungal, parasitic or viral infections, contact with inflammatory substances, among others.
Dr. Carlos Sordo, a renowned dermatologist at our clinic, tells us about key points to identify this condition and self-care measures to prevent it or mitigate its symptoms:
Some symptoms to which we should pay attention
- Dry, itchy, red, swollen skin. In more severe cases, blistering, peeling, or crusting may occur.
Most common types of dermatitis
- Irritant contact dermatitis. Caused by the continuous and often disproportionate use of cleaning products or disinfectants.
- Allergic contact dermatitis. Affects the specific area of the skin that comes into contact with the allergenic substance.
- Atopic dermatitis. It usually begins in childhood. We can avoid it by keeping the skin dry, especially the neck, armpits, the front of the knee and other folds.
What to do to prevent dermatitis?
- Use soap and water to wash your hands and remove viruses and bacteria. It is not necessary to use more powerful products, except for special conditions.
- Use detergents and disinfectants in the appropriate measures, in order to avoid causing inflammation and hypersensitivity.
- Put on gloves when cleaning surfaces to avoid direct contact with irritants.
- Before using the mask, wash and moisturize your face, using cleansers and creams, preferably neutral or hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and paraben-free.
Our Dermatology service performs direct examinations, skin biopsies and lesion treatments with specific medications and master formulas, since it has the necessary equipment for its preparation.
Dr. Carlos Sordo
Dermatologist at Clinica Ricardo Palma