On World Cancer Day, Mauricio Leon, Surgical Oncologist of our clinic, tells us which tests are important to face on time this fearsome disease.
To detect certain types of cancer in the early stages, it is important to perform preventive examinations regularly, even when people are in healthy conditions, explains our specialist.
In this sense, he says that people should become aware of the care and preventive measures against cancer since an early diagnosis can save their lives.
Dr. Leon recommends simple medical tests to prevent and detect many types of cancer promptly:
- Pap test. This test detects precancerous and cancerous lesions on the cervix. It is recommended that all women get tested annually, once their sexual life has begun since this type of cancer is most common in Peruvian women.
- Mammography. It is essential for the early diagnosis of breast cancer. The test should be done annually after age 40 or earlier if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer.
- Colonoscopy. Colorectal cancer affects men and women equally. It is essential to get tested periodically, usually every 5 years, to detect any abnormality and detect occult blood in the stool (Thevenon test). It is recommended to have this exam annually starting at the age of 50.
- Upper endoscopy. It is the most used procedure for the diagnosis of stomach cancer. The stomach mucosa can be directly observed and also the presence or otherwise of lesions at that level can be assessed.
- Chest X-ray. In recent years there has been an increase in cigarette smoking in women. This test must be performed at least once a year to rule out any lung disease such as lung cancer.
Dr. Mauricio León
Surgical Oncologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma