Children often insistently ask their parents to have a pet. However, these can be denied for many reasons, for example, lack of space, fear of ceasing to maintain order and cleanliness in the house, or the increase in the budget for food and care that all pets demand. But do you have any idea how fulfilling this wish could benefit your little ones? Mg. Mary Castro, a psychologist at our clinic, gives us the answers.
Reasons why having a pet can favor your children in their development:
- They are an excellent company. Generally, pets are always next to the little ones. In case they have been adopted at an early age, they will establish a bond of companionship. The children will not feel alone, because they will have support.
- Promotes social development. We must consider that a little animal does not judge. Therefore, the child will feel comfortable telling it things and thoughts, which can favor his/her ability to express himself/herself. In addition, the little one may want to tell all about his/her pet to his/her friends, thus improving his/her communication skills.
- It helps to reduce stress. Taking care of a pet can encourage adults and children to carry out other activities outside of the academic or work environment, helping, in turn, to prevent diseases related to mental health, as it reduces stress.
- Develop a sense of responsibility. The little one, according to his/her age, will have pre-established daily tasks to care for his/her beloved pet, which can make him/her a capable and responsible person, for example, he/she will be able to comb its hair, feed it, give it a drink, etc. Our specialist points out that a pet will make the child much more aware of the sense of responsibility, they will also have the opportunity to develop empathy since they will be in charge of a living being.
- Encourage physical activity. Pets need to go outside to play and de-stress. Your children can be part of that routine and enjoy physical activity by taking it for a walk. In this way, a sedentary lifestyle will be reduced and you will prevent your little ones from spending a lot of time in front of the screens.
- Promotes family communication. Taking care of a pet implies carrying out a series of coordination, encouraging and favoring more active and effective communication between the members of a family.
You have a whole range of options when choosing a pet for your little one, taking into account your possibilities. From each of them, you will be able to obtain many of the benefits mentioned.
Mg. Mary Castro
Psychologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma