Every year, tobacco kills at least 8 million people, according to the World Health Organization. This bad habit is a public health problem, since smoking is among the main causes of foreseeable premature death, since it is a habit acquired by people, indicates Dr. Víctor Geng Chiong, an internist at Clinica Ricardo Palma, who brings us some reasons to stop this bad habit
- Smoking affects the heart, increasing the possibility of cardiovascular disease three times more, compared to people who do not smoke.
- It causes cancer. Not only is it related to the respiratory system, but it damages almost all the body’s organs, such as: the stomach, esophagus, colon, liver, kidneys, bladder and even increases the possibility of suffering from leukemia.
- It hinders the fertility of the woman and her pregnancy. By smoking, the pregnant woman has a higher risk of miscarriage and premature delivery. In addition, if the mother smokes during pregnancy, the baby at birth may have congenital malformations. On the other hand, if the mother smokes after delivery, the baby runs the risk of sudden infant death.
- Men who use tobacco can suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Causes addiction. Nicotine, which is the addictive substance, is naturally found in tobacco leaves. Tobacco smoke when absorbed by the lungs travels through the blood to the brain generating a harmful habit
- Tobacco smoke affects even non-smokers (this is called passive smoking). Tobacco smoke is carcinogenic, whether the tobacco is consumed or inhaled.
Remember that it is always important to have preventive check-ups, as these will help you to diagnose any type of disease early.
Dr. Víctor Geng Chiong
Internist at Clínica Ricardo Palma