“In the Rheumatology service of Clinica Ricardo Palma we provide a comprehensive treatment, based on medications for the control of generalized muscle pain and manifestations derived from the central and peripheral sensitization disorder, as well as non-pharmacological actions that facilitate our physical therapy and rehabilitation, psychology and nutrition services”, says Dr. Oscar Chigne, a leading rheumatologist of our clinic.
What is fibromyalgia?
It is a chronic condition of generalized muscle pain and tenderness associated with fatigue, sleep and memory problems, mood alterations and decreased functional capacity. On the eve of the International Fibromyalgia Day, our specialist refers some aspects to consider:
- The risk of suffering from fibromyalgia is higher in the female sex; if there is a family history and if they are of 1st degree, the risk is 8 times higher. Other factors can be infections, stress, autoimmune diseases, psychosocial alterations, diseases with chronic pain, among others.
- The main factor for diagnosis is generalized pain associated with sleep problems, memory and/or fatigue for at least three months.
- Treatment is aimed at reducing its symptoms, mainly: chronic musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances or morning stiffness. Swelling of hands and extremities, tingling or cramping sensations, headaches, dizziness, bruxism and jaw joint pain, abdominal, thoracic, and pelvic pain, cold intolerance, depression, among others, may also occur.
- The physical and emotional discomfort associated with its symptoms and the limitation to develop daily activities have an impact on the quality of life of the patients, altering their personal, family, social and work relationships.
- Fibromyalgia does not increase the chances of contracting Covid-19, but it can aggravate the sufferer’s condition. Stress associated with confinement may play a role in worsening the condition.
COVID-19 treatment is not contraindicated in patients with this disease. See a specialist to treat flare-ups of worsening in this condition if required.
Dr. Oscar Chigne
Rheumatologist of Clínica Ricardo Palma