Unlike women, who tend to go to a health center more frequently, either for some ailment or for complying with their routine check-ups; men do not usually go to the doctor unless they need it urgently. However, it is important to remember that, like women, men require a series of preventive check-ups to have an early diagnosis of any ongoing disease. For this reason, Dr. Julio Cachay, an internist at Clinica Ricardo Palma, provides us with more information on the subject.
Among the most common diseases in men, we have:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia. It occurs from the age of 50
- Cardiovascular diseases. Either due to high blood pressure or coronary angina, in turn associated with risk factors such as cholesterol or triglycerides
- Mellitus diabetes. That affects those under 30 years of age (type 1 diabetes) and those over 30 years of age (type 2 diabetes). The latter is more prevalent as age increases
Mandatory medical check-ups
- From the age of 40
In addition to general examinations such as weight, pressure and height control to identify whether or not there is overweight or obesity; the following tests should be performed:
- Hemoglobin.To rule out anemia.
- Cholesterol, triglycerides, and types of cholesterol. To know if the levels are adequate, especially if there is overweight or obesity.
- Glucose.Through it, a high level of sugar in the blood can be detected in time and harmful habits can be modified.
- Discard HIV. In case you have had risky behavior, such as having unprotected sex or with several sexual partners.
- Discard of parasites. Especially if you are underweight or have frequent stomach upset.
- Complete urine test. To rule out any possible infection.
- Urea and creatinine test.It is used to evaluate the functioning of the kidneys.
- Liver tests. Assess liver function.
It is also important to perform the following check-ups:
- Complete cardiological check-up. Such as EKG, stress test, and echocardiogram.
- Dental check-up. Helps to examine decayed parts and thus prevent infectious foci
- Ophthalmological check-up. It is used to rule out myopia, astigmatism, dry eye or visual fatigue.
- ENT Check-up. Audiometry evaluates the ability to hear sounds.
- Gastroenterology check-up. Helps to rule out helicobia pylori, in case of recurrent stomach discomfort
- Urological checkup.To explore the genitourinary system.
- From 50 and 65 years old
Para los hombres a partir de los 50 años es recomendable, además de los exámenes anteriores, realizarse una ecografía abdominal para evaluar órganos como: el hígado, páncreas, riñones, entre otros. También el PSA en sangre, que es un marcador tumoral de cáncer de próstataA partir de los 65 años, es recomendable realizarse chequeos preventivos minuciosos cada seis meses para detectar la presencia de tumores. Dicha revisión puede incluir exámenes más profundos, como: biopsias, resonancias, tomografías, entre otros
Dr. Julio Cachay
Internist at Clínica Ricardo Palma