The state of emergency decreed by our Government has impacted the labor, family, and social areas. Understandably, these circumstances are associated with increased pictures of stress, anxiety, and feelings of panic.
There is fear for different reasons such as fear of contracting the virus, lack of money for independent people, the accumulation of debts, and the natural fear of staying in one place.
As the case may be, it is important to keep realistic thinking and follow the directions given for social isolation. This moment can be used to develop activities related to our creativity.
For this reason, we share some tips, as prevention factors, to help you during these days of social isolation:
- As far as possible, carry out your daily routine, for example, when you get up you should take a shower and clean yourself up as on a regular day.
- Create and carry out a routine of stretching and physical activity at home (exercises, dancing, yoga, meditation), listen to music, sleep your usual hours and eat healthy food (vegetables, fruits, avoid fried food).
- Stay connected to your loved ones. You can keep in touch with them through social networks, video conferences, and phone calls.
- Organize and establish a plan together with your family members to fulfill the usual job (remote work) and educational responsibilities.
- Play with your family, carry out recreational activities such as board games or motor games.
- Do not associate the disease with any nationality or ethnic group and, in turn, be more empathetic with people who have tested positive for the virus.
- Avoid being aware of COVID-19 news all day; try to collect information at most twice a day.
- Find ways to share recommendations and positive experiences of people who have had the disease and have recovered or received unconditional support from their family and friends.
- In times of stress and anxiety attend to your own needs and feelings. Channel those energies by doing activities you like and help you relax.
Dra. Carmen Bravo de Rueda
Psychologist at Clínica Ricardo Palma