Therapy with radioactive iodine 131 is a treatment for patients with excessive activity of the thyroid gland as it is the Hyperthyroidism.
Before starting therapy, an evaluation by a Nuclear Medicine specialist is required, and the doctor will indicate the dose of iodine and the days when you will stop taking your medication. You must bring your previous thyroid analysis and ultrasound scans.
During the therapy you will take the iodine in either pill or liquid form, through your bloodstream. Iodine 131 reaches the thyroid where it is taken up by thyroid cells.
Treatment is done as an outpatient and you will be able to go home after the treatment is over.
Indications and precautions:
- Come fasting for 4 – 5 hours.
- Low iodine diet 1 week before and after the treatment.
- Partial isolation required for 3 days or keep a distance of 3 meters with other family members.
- Notify in advance if you suspect you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
The purpose is to avoid foods rich in iodine.
You should not eat them for one week:
- Fish, seafood or other sea products; garlic, chard, spinach, green beans, banana, pineapple, mango, egg (no yolk, only egg white), onion, mushrooms, broad beans, peanuts, turnip, radish, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.
- Low intake of milk, carrot, viscera, tomato, beans, sweet potato, chocolate.
- In general; reduce the portion of salad and fruits you usually eat, and avoid the above-mentioned vegetables.
- Do not eat food containing additives, red coloring or canned.
- You can have chicken, pork or beef; yogurt instead of milk, pasta, startchy food, potatoes and other foods not mentioned in this list.
After treatment: home care for 3 days:
- Sleep alone.
- Two-meters social distancing with adults.
- Avoid contact with children under 5 years old and pregnant women.
- Do not prepare food for other people.
- Flush the toilet 3 times after use.
- Wash your hands well after using the bathroom.
- Use the same cutlery for 3 days, do not mix them with the others.
- Female patients are recommended to avoid getting pregnant for a period of 6 months.